Thursday, March 12, 2009

Geneology...I am doing it!


A few nights before we left for Texas I was up all night thinking about my geneology. I joke with other people who do geneology about similar times in their lives...we call it when our dead people are bugging us and wont let us sleep. It usually only occurs when I am not making headway or have stopped doing the work. I havent submitted any new names to the temple since about October of last year. I knew they were changing the temple ready portion of the process and hurriedly submitted enough names before the change to keep us rolling for a few months. Those names were almost complete and I had a couple of babies come, a wedding, thanksgiving and Christmas to keep me sidetracked during that time. But now all of that has settled down, and I was being told....get back to work. I had no idea where to start, but with a YSA baptism coming in two days, I knew I needed to just jump in and get some names ready. I worked on submitting some names from a file that I already had. Had to go to the gen library for training on how to submit under the new program and then get the names typed in and searched through the data bases to clear. It has been a 10 hour job for the last two days! I have learned a ton about the new.familysearch program. Its amazing! At first I was complaining to myself that it was harder than the old process...but not really once I got into it. Actually it checks and double checks for duplicates through ALL of the old programs in the past that the church has. I was amazed that out of 350 names I only ended up with about 100 that actually needed work done! I also found out that that one particular line...I can send the work to someone else who is more directly related than I am to do the work! I was super excited about that cause that leaves me clear to return to my own more pressing people here in the USA in more recent years. I am going to try to show the connections between all of them. Kenneth Mosman , the author of the books above, was an amazing geneologist. He was not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, but he was driven by the spirit of Elijah and gathered all the names of the Mossman families he could find anywhere. My mom, Betty Mossman, contributed to a couple of his books and corresponded with him a ton. It amazes me what they accomplished without the help of computers. All of that was done by post! What I am hoping to do is to tie the families together because I do have a computer to help me. My mom worked her whole life on this line...and after her death we found the missing info and link...one that took us back to 1600 in Germany. Theres about a 50 year gap between them and the Scotland group. I would love to find that link! I am sure that my parents are helping prod the work along on the other side as we work together to accomplish this. Guy helped me get a new laptop while I was in Texas that should be here soon. I am up and running again....at least I will be if they let me sleep! Anyone out there that would like to help search, just let me know and I will divy out areas and jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment