Sunday, March 1, 2009

Family Letter!

Dear Family,
This week has gone just as fast as ever! We were in the Temple , yesterday, with one of our most recent endowed members. What a beautiful expereince. I had one interview before we went to the Temple. Mom came in between her Stake RS Activity. They had a whole day of activities of which I took her from. Thanks, Mom for being with me all day! We miss the good old days of serving in the temple, getting up at 5 am and staying till noon. The Temple just opened again after cleaning the last 3 weeks. We are always glad when it opens again. Are you making use of the Temple? What a quiet and serene place to visit for heavenly glimpes and moments of inspriation. The temple will lift you to higher ground. Go as often as you can!
This Sunday we have had a beautiful day of testimony and lessons. Mom taught the Gospel Principles Class, since we did not have a teacher show up. You know she always does a great job, even if she was given a moment's notice. Tonight we will go to a CES Fireside with Robert Hales an Apostle of the Lord speaking. There was a message of how to rise to higher ground. #1 Couple need to know that marriage is forever. #2 Know the doctrine and importance of the temple covenants, then go there often. #3 Choose the spiritual/eternal over the temporal blessings. #4. Once you have found you eternal mate, no need to look anymore! #5. Avoid contention- better to let off a little steam before the whole pressure cooker explodes. Work on a change of heart, work on improving your relationships, learn to apologize. #6 Live within your means, use a budget. #7 If you have the spirit of the Holy Ghost, it will never take you off higher ground. #8 Study and pray. Scriptures remind us who we are.
Then, I got to talk to Kevin Arnell's Branch President after church today reporting he went to church his first week in boot camp. We are proud of Kevin right now for the choices he is making in his life. I guess his Branch President told the recruits today at church that it is a good thing to become active while you are serving, it will make you a better military man. He is a vetern Marine himself and seems to have the respect and honor of the recruits. They have a very high missionary rate because those serving bring their non-member friends to the Branch, baptizing 5-6 per month!
We are excited this week to leave Thursday to see our #18th Grandson, Tyler Keith Hill. We will return the following Monday. Stay tune for that adventure next week. Braydon loves to play so I am sure we will have some tales to tell.
Grandpa Hill is doing fine. I get to see him about 2 or 3 times a week. After reading this month's message from President Monson; I, too, want to pay tribute to my Dad.
Over my life, I don't think I could find a finer person to model my life after. He has always been there when I needed a blessing, haircut, advice, guidance, saving bonds, example or help. He has set the finest example a son could ever ask for. I know he has always had the best interest of his family in mind, or anyone for that matter. He is patient, prudent, faithful, loving, kind and follows the advise he gives to all he has married (DC 121:41-42).
When I was young, I always thought I would like to be just like my dad. Now that I am older, that statement couldn't be truer. When I remember those many years ago when he started back into activity , I think he realized when he took us back to church as a family, that the one who needed the church most was himself. And use the church , he surely has. Thanks again for that, Dad! I don't think I have ever seen a member take more serious his calling, both great and small; even his home teaching is just as important as anything else he does. I could learn a lesson or two from that. ... Especially at the end of the month when I am rushing to get all my visits done!
I remember him telling me once," I have so much time to make up for those inactive years of my life." To this day, he pay a little extra in his tithing just to make square those lost moments. He has served as Young Men's Secretary, Stake Missionary, Stake Mission President, High Councilor, Bishop, Stake President's Counselor, Temple Sealer, and Stake Patriarch and more. But more important than all this, is his sacred role as a Father. It is with great respect that I mention those words and only wish I could do half as well. I truly hope that we all will be one great eternal family in the heavens to come. I love you so much, Dad! Thanks for all you do for our family.
Love,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment