Thursday, March 12, 2009

What a wonderful week







We had the most wonderful weekend visiting with Guy and Allison. I had no idea that the Dallas area was so huge. I was somehow thinking it was the size of Boise or something in my head. When we were flying in and I could see all of it, my first thoughts were of my poor kids coming here all alone and trying to figure it all out and settle in. My next thought was, Well, they did alright, didnt they. In that moment Guy went from being a young man in my eyes...to being who he is. Sweetheart, dad and son...a grown man. I have to confess I shed a little moment of tears over that thought, as each mom does when she realizes that her job of raising is over. But the weekend that followed was filled with wonder and awe at what Guy and Allison have done and become. Their home was organized and beautiful and filled with love and hugs and teasing. It was also filled with discipline and learning. I had to laugh a little when Guy took us to that airport on upon leaving and he was still listening to Scripture Scouts on the way! I was so proud of them all and thankful once again that Guy has found Allision. Whenever I hear that line from Jerry Mcquire that says "you complete me" I think of these two. I also was impressed at how Guy pitched in and did the cooking and picking up. He said he didnt remember ever doing a dish when he was a kid....that shows how soon we forget the past. Its true as a teen I never made him do them. By then his jobs were mainly around the outside of the house, and trying to play sports and get okay grades...mostly I tried to make sure he got a few hours of sleep and vitamins during those years...but as a child, believe me, they all did dishes and cleaned bathrooms! Mostly for points on their Dads workcharts!..but somehow it seems to have transfered into adulthood. Its the seeing the results of all those FHEs and time spent trying to teach them ,that never seemed worth the effort at the time...that testifies to me that the principles of living the Gospel in every way is the right way to happiness. We were talking about how hard it is to go to church with the kids at the age they are...of the countless hours out in the halls and meetings where you didnt get a word of what the speaker was saying. It would be easier to stay home...but the pattern needs to be developed and ingrain inside of their souls. Once its there, we are promised, that even if they roam, they will return. I know this to be true. Its just fun to see them figuring out and following in the same paths that makes it all rewarding at the end. Guy and I had a wonderful time getting to know the grandkids. Grandpa spent a ton of time playing with Brayden and his toys. They also build numerous forts out of blankets. After they were sufficiently hidden, daddy would come and be the giant and find Brayden and tickle him till he got kisses. I spend the sweetest hours in the evening holding Tyler on my chest and reading. I love it when they are small enough to curl up and rest on you like that! This was the first time I have left Portland that I wasnt excited to get back. We miss them a ton.
So I downloaded two of the same picture by mistake...any ideas on how to remove one of them? I tried the edit posts but couldnt see any way to remove it...

No comments:

Post a Comment